Using Bio-Oil for scars on the face has proven effective for many users. Whether the scars are due to acne, surgery, injury, psoriasis, or eczema, there are testimonials all over the web that Bio-Oil is among the best remedies.
In this article, I highlight how to use it for scars to get the best results. I also examine the before and after pictures showing positive results on the face!
Causes of Facial Scars
Facial scars are caused by inflamed lesions, which include: cysts, pustules, and papules.
The occurrence of inflamed blemishes on your facial skin is a result of your pore or follicle becoming engorged with bacteria, dead skin cells, and excess oil.
These marks, however annoying they may be, cannot be avoided. It is because they form part of the normal healing process of your skin after being scratched by either an injury or a wound.
A majority of artificial lesions get healed minus leaving a mark on your skin. The scars only appear if your skin’s dermis is damaged.
Thus, acne scarring is caused by the swelling of pores, which in turn, contribute to a break in the wall of the follicle. In case the skin rupture takes place on or near its surface, a minor blemish that heals very quickly may appear.
But, the lesions are normally serious if there is a deep break in the wall of the follicle. The infested material leaks into the dermis leading to damage to your healthy skin soft tissue.
Is Bio-Oil Good for Face Scars?
Yes, bio-oil is good for your facial scars since it helps to reduce the cause of acne by hydrating your dry skin. It also helps to prevent or heal facial stretch marks and scars.
Bio-oil a good skincare product known to heal acne scars.
It’s largely made from organic ingredients including plant extracts like rosemary, lavender, calendula, and chamomile. Through a refinery process, the mixture is processed into topically usable body oil.
The design of this product is such that it helps to enhance the appearance of many skin scars, including ace scars and stretch marks among several other skin disorders.
Evidently, users of this cream say that when applied properly, it helps to improve your rough skin tone. In this regard, the oil is believed to effectively remove dark spots for your aging skin.
It can aid you to eliminate and heal stretch marks.
It also helps pregnant women in preventing such marks or any other person with sudden weight changes or going through a period of extreme growth changes.
Bio-oil for Acne Scars on Face
Is Bio-oil good for acne scars on the face?
Well, the fact that bio-oil is a product of natural, gentle plant extracts, can help heal acne scars appearing on your face.
Neither the ingredients used to produce the cream make it a product that can clog pores nor worsen acne scars.
Instead, the product’s primary function is to offer your dry facial skin much-needed hydration via its organic oils.
Typically, the main cause of acne is oil-prone or oily skin.
Manufacturers of this cream say that it can help you to enhance the look of your old or new acne scars through skin miniaturization, promoting regeneration of skin cells as well as reducing inflammation.
Also, the appropriate application of Bio-Oil helps to improve uneven skin tone resulting from hyperpigmentation and also enhances the status of your aging skin. This is why some people put bio oil on face overnight.
How long does bio-oil take to work on acne scars?
According to a study done in Germany in which participants were selected to use bio-oil for scar treatment, 92% of them had a complete disappearance of the scars after 60 days.
How to use Bio-Oil for Scars on Face
Here is the procedure on how you can apply Bio-oil to get rid of scars on your face:
- The producers of this skin healing cream recommend its use at least two times every day for more than three months to notice any meaningful improvements.
- You should apply a few oil drops directly to the part with discolored skin or affected by the acne scar and massage the area in a circular motion till the oil is completely absorbed into the skin surface.
- If you have made up your mind to try the application of this product to find out if it really works miracles on your scarred skin, keep in mind that it works well if mixed with Dermaflage Topical Filler. The manufacturers of the oil recommend such a combination because it helps to hides the targeted scars with a one-two punch. That includes clearing pockmarks, boxcar scars, ice pick scars, and rolling scars.
- Using this approach, you will routinely apply the oil for the treatment of acne scars every night and use Dermaflage any time you feel like hiding your facial marks or in the daytime. This will help to instantly boost your confidence.
- When applying Dermaflage Topical Filler, make sure that the target part is free from any other product and clean as well.
Bio-Oil for Eczema & Psoriasis Scars
Is bio-oil good for eczema scars?
You may be wondering if Bio-oil is good for treating eczema and psoriasis. This healing product is the remedy you may have for such skin conditions.
It is an oil popular for its biological curing activities against numerous skin disorders including eczema and psoriasis.
It is a product of some plant extracts embedded in an oil base together with some needed vitamins essential for your affected skin.
The cream is manufactured from skin moisturizing and soothing oils for parts affected by both eczema and psoriasis including:
- Rosemary Oil: a natural oil supplement for skin conditioning, particularly because of its calming and anti-inflammatory properties for affected skin.
- Calendula Oil: It has properties for cell regeneration and thus acts as a natural cooling and soother agent. Additionally, the oil is used as a natural anti-septic element known to combat microorganisms on eczema and psoriasis areas.
- Chamomile Oil: It is an element that works well for sensitive skin particularly because of its calming and anti-inflammatory properties for eczema and psoriasis-affected skin.
- Vitamin A: Is useful in supporting the formation of new collagen as well as helpful in the regeneration of affected skin through enhancing its texture, elasticity, and tone.
Bio-Oil for Burn Scars
Bio-oil helps to heal and hide burn skin scars. Burn injuries lead to scar complications due to a condition called pruritis or post-burn itch.
The intolerable itch resulting from burn scars may compromise the quality of your life and the healing process of your skin wound.
Every so often, the newly developed skin layer known as epidermal is scratched off from such burns, leading to exacerbated scarring, a loss of embedded skin, and sepsis.
The use of a moisturizing agent like Bio-oil together with drug remedies is the most popular prescription for handling post-burn itch.
The research carried out in South Africa by the Red Cross War Memorial Children’s Hospital at the burns unit showed how the oil, when used as a supplement is useful in treating burn scars.
Its inclusion in the management of burn wounds helped to lessen the excessive itchiness and dryness of pruritis.
Bio cream is not only proven to help in managing such scars but also effective in reinstating the mother-child connection.
Bio-Oil for Chickenpox Scars on Face
Bio-oil is indeed an exceptional skincare product thought by its users to reduce the presence of various skin marks including the appearance of chickenpox scars on their face.
It’s one of the popular natural remedies for the removal of dark blemishes related to this skin infection.
The oil helps to hydrate and enhance the healing of the affected area.
However, good results can only be achieved if the cleansing preparation of the product is properly done before its application. Doing so enables the cream to get absorbed into the membrane more easily.
If possible, the process of cleaning may require cleaning with a lightening and exfoliant soap such as Tea Tree Oil Soap.
You can combine the Bio-oil and Tea Oil with your preferred liquid soap.
But, it may take you close to three months to notice any meaningful change if the product is applied as directed by your professional or supplier.
Bio-Oil for Face Scars Reviews
Bio-oil is one of the best-selling cosmetic products in general retail stores such as Amazon. By visiting the site one can only be amazed at the number of reviews (over 78k reviews) the product has attracted. Check it below.
Most of the users of this cream on Amazon support its success in minimizing the appearance of scars.
However, a majority of positive comments from the consumers appear to be inconclusive while others revolve around the product’s effectiveness when applied to quite minor skin disorders.
Some users report not seeing any significant improvements on their skin after using the cream for a little while.
However, most of them are still hopeful. They believe improvements may be noticed after continuously applying the oil for a few months as suggested by manufacturers.
Even though, they wish the oil worked faster than it does at the moment.
Overall, the majority of the users of this product like it because it has no chemical smells. It also doesn’t leave their skin feeling oily either.
Side Effects of Bio-Oil for Face Scars
Some disturbing comments are made by customers concerning the use of Bio-oil:
- To some users, they bought the product because they thought it to be But to their surprise, they couldn’t sleep the whole night after applying the cream before bedtime.
- Others experienced a negative skin reaction after using the oil including having an itchy face. The itchiness is then slowly followed by a lack of feeling at their fingertips. They also had their feet feeling slight joint pain, particularly on the knee and ankle.
- Finally, some customers report feeling unusual pressure on their lymph nodes.
As a result, people with hypersensitive immune systems think the product is not good for them.
Bio-Oil for Face Scars Before and After Results
Here is a picture (for depiction purposes only) showing some of the changes bio-oil users may undergo. The results may vary from the ones shown in this image because everyone reacts differently to oils such as bio-oil.
As already pointed out earlier on, satisfactory results may be seen after about 8 weeks (2 months) of diligent application of the oil onto the facial scars.
However, we do recommend that before engaging in such a self-medication exercise, you should at least talk to a skin specialist such as a dermatologist.
References on Bio-Oil for Face Scars:
- 1: Women’sHealth (2021) – 15 Ways You Didn’t Know You Could Use Bio-Oil.
- 2: Bielfeldt et al. (2018) – Observer-blind randomized controlled study of a cosmetic blend of safflower, olive, and other plant oils in the improvement of scar and striae appearance.
- 3: Sidgwick (2015) – A comprehensive evidence-based review on the role of topicals and dressings in the management of skin scarring